FolderStats™ Disk and Folder Usage Analysis Freeware
FolderStats is a freeware tool that helps IT administrators and users find which areas on disk use the most disk space. In addition, you can see which folders are "stale" and which are actively being written to. The tool may be used to create daily reports in text format, listing each folder's total byte count, file/folder count, and latest file date stamp encountered.
FolderStats Usage Scenarios
- You want to find the largest folders on your file server
- You want to figure out how disk usage increases over time and which folders are affected
- You want to find folders that should be moved elsewhere due to their size
- You want to find folders that are stale and don't change much over time
- You want to set up a backup strategy and need to know how your file server's data changes over time
- Information from FolderStats may be used to determine how often a backup is necessary
- Information from FolderStats may be used to determine which folders to back up daily and which ones less often
- Information from FolderStats may be used to determine how big of a backup media you need to purchase
- Information from FolderStats may be used to determine which users on your file server generate the most data.
- Explore and visualize local and network storage
- Uncover trends in folder and drive usage
- Reclaim disk space by eliminating files you don't need
- Use this tool to plan for future storage capacity
- Find data that can be moved off to offline storage
- Monitor disk space on local and network drives
- Find very long path names in the server's folder structure
- Find recently created files even if you forgot their name
- Creates on screen output or you can redirect output to a text file (FolderStats runs in the Command Prompt only)
- Reduce clutter by setting a high filter. For example, the tool can be configured to list only folders above a certain size, such as 5 GB.
- FolderStats lists file / folder count inside of each folder
- FolderStats reports total byte count of each folder
- BackupChain Users Only: Command line interface allows tool to be used from within BackupChain (Option tab->External Utilities), via the Windows Task Scheduler, or through other scripts. Note: tool requires user intervention (hit enter) on systems without a valid BackupChain license.
- Tab separated format allows copy and paste or import into Microsoft Excel
- BackupChain Users Only: you can specify a date filter to include only files added/altered in the last N days, see command syntax
- Works on all versions of Microsoft Windows, including Windows Server
- Unicode capable and handles path names of over 32,0000 characters in any language
FolderStats.exe [process reparse points (yes/no)] [size] [include last N days (0 = all)] [max reporting depth (0 = no limit)] [folder]
Example from a sample script, showing folders over 30GB. Four reports are generated: total, data since yesterday, last week, and last month: folderstats yes 30GB 0 0 d:\mydata >c:\tools\data_report_complete.txt folderstats yes 30GB 1 0 d:\mydata >c:\tools\data_report_yesterday.txt folderstats yes 30GB 7 0 d:\mydata >c:\tools\data_report_last_week.txt folderstats yes 30GB 30 0 d:\mydata >c:\tools\data_report_last_month.txt
FolderStats v2.0 -- Copyright 2016 - 2018 FastNeuron Inc. All Rights Reserved. FolderStats is freeware and may be used for commercial purposes as long as it is not part of a software bundle (requires license) This program counts total bytes inside a folder and produces a report. Only folders of a certain size are listed. Usage: FolderStats.exe [process reparse points (yes/no)] [size] [include last N days (0 = all)] [max reporting depth (0 = no limit)] [folder] Example: FolderStats.exe yes 3GB 0 0 "C:\Windows" Or: FolderStats.exe no 2MB 12 "C:\Windows" >c:\temp\folderreports.txt The above example command counts files of the last 12 days and reports folders larger than 2MB. The output is redirected to a text file. Size may be entered in bytes, KB, MB, GB, and TB, but not in fractions. For example: 239, 1025MB, 2TB The report lists folder name, total size, total number of files and folders counted, and the most recent write time stamp encountered FolderStats is part of the BackupChain toolset; Backup Software made for I.T. Professionals Visit http://backupchain.com for more information
When you run:
FolderStats yes 1GB 0 0 E:\windows
FolderStats v2.0 -- Copyright 2016 - 2018 FastNeuron Inc. All Rights Reserved. Generating stats for: 1GB Report includes folders equal or greater than 1.000 GB No time filter specified path total size size on disk file count latest file stamp E:\windows\assembly 2.750 GB 2.952 GiB 21645 3/26/2018 9:41:53 AM E:\windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00004119110000000100000000F01FEC 1.258 GB 1.351 GiB 733 10/19/2017 5:13:23 PM E:\windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\DCC60C0870D76BD368DC5BB7F360418D\9.0.21022 1.615 GB 1.738 GiB 2145 1/13/2015 4:49:04 PM E:\windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\DCC60C0870D76BD368DC5BB7F360418D 1.683 GB 1.807 GiB 2220 1/19/2015 12:50:11 PM E:\windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed 5.088 GB 5.463 GiB 7274 3/25/2018 11:49:18 AM E:\windows\Installer\$PatchCache$ 5.088 GB 5.463 GiB 7277 3/25/2018 11:49:18 AM E:\windows\Installer 15.916 GB 17.091 GiB 9073 8/23/2018 3:34:35 PM E:\windows\Microsoft.NET 1.367 GB 1.467 GiB 13552 10/22/2018 2:48:42 PM E:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore 1.274 GB 1.368 GiB 14 4/6/2018 6:55:58 PM E:\windows\SoftwareDistribution 1.393 GB 1.496 GiB 1544 4/6/2018 6:55:58 PM E:\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository 2.705 GB 2.906 GiB 8107 8/23/2018 3:34:42 PM E:\windows\System32\DriverStore 2.712 GB 2.912 GiB 9152 8/23/2018 3:34:42 PM E:\windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS 1.276 GB 1.370 GiB 4 11/14/2017 12:59:16 PM E:\windows\System32\spool 1.389 GB 1.491 GiB 787 3/12/2018 9:34:38 AM E:\windows\System32 7.447 GB 8.002 GiB 27700 10/29/2018 2:31:53 PM E:\windows\SysWOW64 1.450 GB 1.562 GiB 10106 9/10/2018 4:50:44 PM E:\windows\winsxs 16.171 GB 17.417 GiB 199868 4/18/2018 10:18:22 AM E:\windows 49.815 GB 53.489 GiB 300876 10/29/2018 2:31:56 PM
In the example above,
E:\windows 49.815 GB 53.489 GiB 300876 10/29/2018 2:31:56 PMthe folder E:\Windows contains over 49GB, 300,876 files, and the latest file was dated 10/29/2018 2:31:56 PM.
Note that we used 'number of days = 0' which turned off the time filter. To find out how much data was added to E:\windows since yesterday you would issue to the command:
FolderStats yes 1GB 1 0 E:\windowsThe results for our example are now different:
FolderStats v2.0 -- Copyright 2016 - 2018 FastNeuron Inc. All Rights Reserved. Generating stats for: 1GB Report includes folders equal or greater than 1.000 GB FolderStats counts files written on or after: 10/28/2018 2:33:56 PM path total size size on disk file count latest file stamp E:\windows 556.880 MB 583.959 MiB 300876 10/29/2018 2:33:56 PM
Please email us your suggestions and comments; we love to hear them!
Also Check out BackupChain...
Switch to a professional backup tool, try BackupChain on Windows Servers, Hyper-V Servers, and regular PCs and set up efficient local and remote backups. Check our Feature List for more information. We also offer a high-speed, competitively priced cloud backup service at $22 per TB per month. BackupChain is backed by a Best Value Guarantee and a 110% Money-back Guarantee
Check our download page and start your free trial today: