This article summarizes the steps needed to fix the error ID 10102, Hyper-V VMMS (Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS) “Failed to create the backup of virtual machine”.
There are various reasons why this error may occur:
- Virtual machine files are stored in root folders of a drive or mounted folder. If that’s the case please move all Hyper-V virtual machine files into a subfolder. This is a well-known bug in Hyper-V and affects backups with various error messages. Do not store VHDs and other VM files in root folders.
- The VM’s disk may be nearly full
- The host’s disk may be full, either the system drive or the drive containing the VHDs or both
- The VM’s snapshot folder is set to a root folder (variant of #1)
- The VM’s snapshot folder volume is full or nearly full
- A VSS aware service inside the VM vetoed live backup, such as SQL Server, Exchange, etc. Please inspect the VM’s Event Viewer logs (Application & System)
Apart from event ID 10102 in Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS you may see additional errors being logged. Usually the first error is the key to the solution and all other errors are consequential.
Hyper-V Backup Software
Are you looking for a powerful Hyper-V Hyper-V VM backup software? Download BackupChain’s full version now and get started. Call, email, or chat with our tech support when you need assistance. We take the time to answer all your questions and help you get started in minutes.
With BackupChain backup software you can set up thousands of different backup configurations to data backup, VM backup, and Windows Server 2008 R2 backup. Take a live backup of your virtual machine guests and backup VHDX, backup VDI, and backup VMDK files from the same interface.
We also offer DriveMaker, an FileZilla alternative as free software. You can use DriveMaker to backup to FTP cloud storage of your own or one of our FTP cloud storage plans.