Granular Backups are great for saving money and time because you can access all VM files from the host without installing agents.
What Exactly Is Granular Backup?
Granular backup is a feature in BackupChain that allows you to back up files and folders that are stored inside the VM. However, you don’t need to install anything inside the VM to back up those files. BackupChain can access the folders from the host. This makes the entire process easier to manage and cheaper, too, as only one software license is required on the host.
When Is Granular Backup Useful?
Let’s assume you have a very large VM of 1TB size. Inside the VM are various SQL databases. One of them is 10GB and you would like to back it up separately every 15 minutes, while the entire VM is backed up nightly. Granular Backup allows you to select the SQL database folder inside the VM and back up that particular database on a different schedule and at the file-level, which means you could ZIP it or use deduplication or copy it as-is so you can copy it back by hand any time you need it without a restore operation through BackupChain.
In short, Granular Backup allows you select files and folders residing inside the VM, and back those up separately in any way you like, without having to install software inside the VM.
In this example we use Hyper-V and want to add a folder stored inside a virtual machine. Open the Folders tab and click Add Folders -> Add Folder Stored Inside a Virtual Machine:
Then navigate to the virtual disk file (*.VDI, *.VMDK, *.VHDX, or *.VHD):
Click Next Step and wait for the screen to load. Now you may select the partition and the folders or files you want backed up:
Note: to select individual files inside a virtual machine instead of folders, you need to start the same process in the Files tab instead of the Folder tab of BackupChain.
The same Granular Backup feature as shown above for Hyper-V (VHD and VHDX) also works on VirtualBox (VDI files) and VMware (VMDK files).
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2023 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- Bit Rot & Data Loss: Are You Aware of Its Damage Potential?
- Backup Software for Windows Server 2022, VMware, & Hyper-V
- Hyper-V Backup Error: Could not initiate a checkpoint operation: Element not found. (0x80070490).
- BackupChain is American Backup Software, 100% Made in USA
- 6 Common Cloud Backup Storage Pitfalls You Should Know
- What is Granular Restore and How to Use it for Hyper-V Guest Recovery?
- Server 2012 Pulled into Saved State With Server 2008 R2 Host
- How to Fix VSS Error 12344: An error was encountered while Registry Writer
- Alternative to Amazon S3, Glacier, Azure, OpenStack, Google Cloud Drive
- Video Step-by-Step Hyper-V Backup on Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022
- VSS Crash and Application Consistency for Hyper-V and VMware Backups
- Server Administrator’s Checklist: Manual Server Monitoring
- How to: Bare-Metal Recovery via USB Windows Server Boot Disk
- Backup Verification and Validation: Use Self Validating Backups
- VMware Cloud backup
- Backup Software with Portable and Perpetual Licensing
- 18 Hyper-V Requirements and Recommended Hardware
- Hyper-V Checkpoint Risks
- How to Backup and Restore Hyper-V Virtual Machine
- V2P Converter & Backup Software for Hyper-V VMware VirtualBox