The idea behind Hyper-V granular backups is to back up certain folders more often than the entire VM, for efficiency reasons.
For example, you could back up a SQL database folder every hour via granular backup, and the entire VM each night as a full backup.
Both types of backup together in one task would make sense if you needed to have separate backup history lengths for the whole VM vs. specific files inside the VM.
Granular backup eliminates the need to install backup software inside the VM and it’s also more efficient than using the VM’s virtualized hardware to do backups.
Also from a management perspective it’s better to use granular backups. With the exception being pass-through disks and some Linux variants, you will probably be fine with granular backups running on the host.
If you need a full VHD backup, it’s more efficient to use the Hyper-V tab and let BackupChain make a full backup of the VHDs instead.
The most likely scenario for Hyper-V Granular Backup is to have certain files from inside the VM backed up separately (likely on a different schedule using a separate task).
Granular backup is commonly deployed to back up databases inside VMs, such as Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server, etc.
In terms of space and time usage, granular backup may be more efficient, too, in some scenarios. If your VM is huge but you only want a small folder backed up often, it’s more efficient to use granular backup.
Most admins probably would want to use both, granular and full VHD Hyper-V backups in a customized, hybrid Hyper-V backup strategy.
See it in action: How to Configure a Hyper-V Granular Backup. Note Granular Backup also works for VMware, VirtualBox, Virtual PC, Microsoft Virtual Server, and VMware Server VMs.
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2023 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- What is Granular Restore and How to Use it for Hyper-V Guest Recovery?
- Low-Cost Backup Software and Cloud Storage Solution
- Hyper-V Cloud Backup
- How Fix Invalid File Date Time Automatically
- 18 Hyper-V Tips & Strategies You Need to Know
- Video Step-by-Step Hyper-V Backup on Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022
- Hyper-V Dynamic Disk Pros and Cons
- Discounts for Schools: Cloud Backup, Storage, Backup Solution
- Backup Software for Windows Server 2022, VMware, & Hyper-V
- V2V Converter & Backup for Hyper-V VMware VirtualBox
- How to Check Hard Disk Health Without Downtime
- Incremental Backup
- How to Fix: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
- What You Need to Know About Servers
- V2P Converter & Backup Software for Hyper-V VMware VirtualBox
- How to Turn Off Windows 10 Upgrade Notification and Icon
- All Fixes for: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2
- How to Fix Disk Signature Error PartMgr 58
- List of 12 Virtual Backup Software Vendors