When backing up a VM that runs SQL Server inside you may run into the following issue.
The VM backup fails and the Event Viewer on the host reports a VSS writer inside the VM failed.
Upon inspection of the VM’s Event Viewer and SQL Server’s logs you find:
Error: 18210, Severity: 16 and Error 3041 "Access Denied"
It turns out the SQL backup, which is triggered by the VM backup, cannot proceed because the local system user (the default for the SQL Server VSS Writer) doesn’t have access to certain resources.
Switching to a local administrator account resolves the issue.
To do that, open “Services” via the Control Panel, open the properties of SQL Server VSS Writer, switch to the Log On tab and change the user to a local admin user. Then restart the service and run the backup again.
Since you work with Microsoft SQL Server, you may want to check out how BackupChain can help you create a SQL Server backup and perhaps a file server backup, too. As a hard drive backup software, BackupChain offers far more than just file backup and USB backup; BackupChain also offers a multitude of features related to virtualization and various hypervisors.
Beyond using BackupChain as a copy tool for Windows, you can create a backup for virtual machine guests using incremental backup and differential backup technologies that build on virtual disk deduplication.
Our features for Hyper-V make BackupChain one of the best Hyper-V backup solutions on the market tailored to the needs of SMBs. You can set up various backup tasks to take live Hyper-V backups to USB, with support for Cluster Shared Volume backups, Hyper-V file backup and also Linux VM backup amongst many other features. To restore Hyper-V backups, you can always access the Hyper-V file backup folder directly and extract any file you need, or use our granular recovery technology to restore individual items from the VM’s file system immediately via the user interface. Furthermore, BackupChain is also the only backup software with Windows 10 Hyper-V backup support.
As the only backup tool on the market with granular backup, BackupChain offers direct access to the live virtual machine file system from the host, without installing backup agents inside each guest. This feature also works whether you set up a CSV backup or a Hyper-V USB backup, regardless of target.
A major tool that saves money and time is Hyper-V deduplication, which also works on other hypervisors, for example, when you create a VMware backup, or automatic VirtualBox backup. When you use deduplication, BackupChain maintains a version backup of each file separately (full compressed backup + incremental deltas) and this technique is ideal when you also push your backups to the cloud to FTP cloud backup storage using our cloud server backup.
BackupChain is not limited to live backup of virtual machines, it’s also a great Windows backup software that includes EDB backup and Outlook backup. What makes BackupChain one of the best backup software deals on the market is that it’s flexible so that you can set up any combination of best server backup practices in your unique environment without much work.
What complements our FTP backup software and FTP server, is DriveMaker, our freeware FTP client and various other freeware for Windows we provide on our site.
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2023 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- How to Fix VolSnap 36 Error User Imposed Limit – Volume Snapshot
- How to Fix ID 10102 VMMS: Failed to create the backup of virtual machine
- List of 12 Virtual Backup Software Vendors
- OneDrive Backup Software for Windows PCs and Servers
- Gmail SMTP Configuration for Backup Alerts
- VSS Crash and Application Consistency for Hyper-V and VMware Backups
- How to: Hyper-V Replication for Immediate Disaster Recovery
- What is Granular Restore and How to Use it for Hyper-V Guest Recovery?
- Hyper-V Backup to NAS: Synology, Qnap, Netgear, Drobo, Buffalo
- VMware Cloud backup
- Self-hosted Google Drive, OneDrive, Carbonite, Amazon S3, DropBox
- How to Convert Pass-through Disk to VHDX or VMDK
- Live Linux Virtual Machine Backup Without Shutdown or Pause
- How to Install Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2012 Machine
- How to Back up Microsoft SQL Server Databases
- How to P2V for Hyper-V 2012 Using Disk2VHD in VHDX Format
- Best Practices for Server Backup, Data Backup, and Hyper-V Backup
- How to Fix Error 1219: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user
- Backup Hyper-V on USB External Hard Drive Pros and Cons
- Carbonite vs. Acronis vs. BackupChain Cloud Backup Plans Review