- Convert VHD to VHDX, for example in Hyper-V or to mount it directly
- Convert VHD to VMDK, to convert a Hyper-V virtual machine to VMware
- Convert VHD to VDI, to convert a Microsoft virtual machine to VirtualBox
- Convert VHD to a physical disk, which is essentially a virtual to physical migration
- Conversions can be done live while the virtual machine is running
- Do conversions manually or automatically on a schedule, for example, for backup purposes
Virtual to Virtual Conversion Between Virtual Disk Formats
Moving from one virtualization platform to another can be done easily using BackupChain’s disk backup toolset. Moreover, the conversions may be automated. Converting VHD files can be done one at a time or several disks simultaneously. In the case of Hyper-V or Virtual PC virtual machines you can do the conversion live, without taking the VM offline or pausing it.
Live Virtual Machine Conversion
VHD files that are part of a running virtual machine can be converted to VHDX, VMDK, VDI, and physical disks without stopping or otherwise affecting the virtual machine. When converting from Hyper-V to VMware, VirtualBox, or to a physical server you may need to run our universal boot feature that will update the boot settings of the disk, in order to make it bootable in the new platform. However, most virtual machine conversions will work without the additional step.
When the VHD file is converted, its contents are copied sector-by-sector. BackupChain offers an option to skip unused areas. In addition, all partitions are moved over to the target file or physical disk.
Dynamically Expanding or Fixed Sized / Preallocated Disks
BackupChain supports dynamically expanding as well as fixed sized disks when reading and writing. When writing to a physical disk, the target disk has to have the same or larger capacity as the original VHD.
BackupChain Backup Software Overview
BackupChain is a Windows Server 2019 backup software specifically made for IT professionals who want control over their backups and require a flexible toolset to accommodate various backup schemes at their client sites and server farms. BackupChain offers a detailed log and many options that allow fine-tuning backups. Beyond the network backup and NAS backup target, BackupChain can also be used to set up a cloud backup and FTP backup and upload incrementally and differentially using deduplication to remote servers. In addition to Hyper-V backup and VMware backup BackupChain can also take a disk image backup of your Windows system disk as well as clone it live. Our goal is to provide you with the perfect, all-in-one Windows Server backup solution and toolset.
VHD conversion and V2V are just one way you can use BackupChain. Download the full version today and checkout the many features beyond virtual disk conversion that you can use to protect your Windows Servers and workstations.
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2022 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.