How to Backup and Restore Hyper-V Virtual Machine
Hyper-V virtual machines may be backed up using two different methods.
One method is to back up Hyper-V’s files and folders manually.
BackupChain also offers a fully automatic way to back up and restore your virtual machines.
Important: You need to have the Hyper-V Integration Services installed in your virtual machines.
Hyper-V Live Backup Prerequisites
In order for live backup to be available in the guest VM:
Install the latest Hyper-V Integration Services.
Install the latest Windows updates to your host server.
Avoid using snapshots because they are not recommended for production systems. If you do use snapshots, store them in the same folder as the main VHDs.
Do not change snapshot folders once you have created snapshots.
Be aware that when you delete snapshots Hyper-V hides from the user interface but they are still in operation until the VM is shut down for a while.
Ensure all VHDs have a basic disk partition layout. Live backup of VMs using dynamic disk partitioning is not yet supported by Hyper-V. (Dynamic disk partition layouts are not related to dynamically growing VHDs)
Ensure NTFS is used throughout.
Hyper-V integration services are necessary to use live backup. On some guest operating systems there is no live backup support.
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2023 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- Things to Consider:Cluster Shared Volumes
- How to Delete VSS Shadows You Can’t Delete: outside of your allowed context…
- VMware Cloud backup
- How to Back up Microsoft SQL Server Databases
- Why You Need To Defragment Your Backup Drives
- Live Hyper-V Backup using Hyper-V VSS Writer: How Backup Works
- How to Convert Pass-through Disk to VHDX or VMDK
- How to use Granular Restore to Extract Individual Files from Virtual Machine Backups
- What is Granular Restore and How to Use it for Hyper-V Guest Recovery?
- Hard Disk Cloning and Drive Copy for Windows, GPT + MBR
- Set Up Private DIY Cloud Server Storage and Access via Mapped Drive
- Notable Customers
- Protection Against Ransomware, CryptoLocker, Trojans and Viruses
- How to Fix VolSnap 36 Error User Imposed Limit – Volume Snapshot
- How to Fix Error 1219: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user
- Hyper-V Replica Pros and Cons
- Server 2012 Pulled into Saved State With Server 2008 R2 Host
- How to Easily Protect Your Servers Against Ransomware
- Backup Hyper-V on USB External Hard Drive Pros and Cons
- How to Fix VSS Error 12344: An error was encountered while Registry Writer