If you are stuck trying to back up or copy long path names over 240 characters long, you are not alone.
Did you know Windows NTFS supports nested, long paths and folders reaching well over 32,000 characters?
And, Windows Explorer itself will produce errors when you are trying to work with deep folders over 240 characters, as do many other tools on the market from ‘so-called’ established vendors.
These ancient limitations are in most Windows user interfaces, developed by Microsoft itself, and these bugs were there and are still there now since Windows 95.
It appears as if Microsoft has no intention of solving this issue at least it hasn’t been fixed in Windows Server 2012 or Windows 10.
Realizing that most business users utilize file servers with very deep folders that sometimes nested folders go well beyond several thousand characters, we knew that specialized software is required to solve the problem.
BackupChain backup software was designed from the very beginning to support, backup, and copy very long path names up to the Windows limit of 32,767 characters–in any language. In addition, BackupChain ships with an FTP server that also supports extremely long nested folder names as well as foreign language characters. You will find that most FTP servers on the market cannot handle long path names either.
By using these unique features along with BackupChain’s Restore module, you can rest assured that your file server backups are intact and can be restored at any time.
BackupChain is now (2015) in its sixth year of existence and a popular backup tool amongst IT professionals worldwide with a user base over 40,000, sold in all corners of the world.
Our products reliability and responsive, knowledgeable, and helpful technical support are guaranteed with a 110% money back guarantee (see Buy page for details and comparisons of different BackupChain Editions).
We are very proud to offer BackupChain to you at competitive prices and would be honored to welcome you as a customer!
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2023 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- Things to Consider:Cluster Shared Volumes
- Automatic Hyper-V Backup on a Schedule
- P2V Converter & Backup Software for Hyper-V VMware VirtualBox
- How Fix Invalid File Date Time Automatically
- USB Disks and Hyper-V: How to Use, Pros and Cons
- Hyper-V Pass-through Disk: Pros and Cons
- Image Backup for Hyper-V, VMware, OS, VirtualBox, System, Physical
- How to Fix Error 64 “The specified network name is no longer available”
- How to Install .Net Framework 2.0 on Windows Server Platforms
- How to Install Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 / 2008 R2
- Incremental Backup
- Hyper-V Pass-through Disks: Advantages, Disadvantages, and Limitations
- V2P Converter & Backup Software for Hyper-V VMware VirtualBox
- How to Fix VolSnap 25 Error The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted
- Gmail SMTP Configuration for Backup Alerts
- Deduplication of Virtual Machine Backups in Hyper-V and VMware
- Virtual Machine Backup Software for Hyper-V, VMware, VirtualBox
- Virtual Machine Backup Software Guide & Tutorial Links
- How to Delete Files in the Backup Folder
- Discounts for Schools: Cloud Backup, Storage, Backup Solution