Copy Long Path Names and Deep Folders over 240 Characters
If you are stuck trying to back up or copy long path names over 240 characters long, you are not alone.
Did you know Windows NTFS supports nested, long paths and folders reaching well over 32,000 characters?
And, Windows Explorer itself will produce errors when you are trying to work with deep folders over 240 characters, as do many other tools on the market from ‘so-called’ established vendors.
These ancient limitations are in most Windows user interfaces, developed by Microsoft itself, and these bugs were there and are still there now since Windows 95.
It appears as if Microsoft has no intention of solving this issue at least it hasn’t been fixed in Windows Server 2012 or Windows 10.
Realizing that most business users utilize file servers with very deep folders that sometimes nested folders go well beyond several thousand characters, we knew that specialized software is required to solve the problem.
BackupChain backup software was designed from the very beginning to support, backup, and copy very long path names up to the Windows limit of 32,767 characters–in any language. In addition, BackupChain ships with an FTP server that also supports extremely long nested folder names as well as foreign language characters. You will find that most FTP servers on the market cannot handle long path names either.
By using these unique features along with BackupChain’s Restore module, you can rest assured that your file server backups are intact and can be restored at any time.
BackupChain is now (2015) in its sixth year of existence and a popular backup tool amongst IT professionals worldwide with a user base over 40,000, sold in all corners of the world.
Our products reliability and responsive, knowledgeable, and helpful technical support are guaranteed with a 110% money back guarantee (see Buy page for details and comparisons of different BackupChain Editions).
We are very proud to offer BackupChain to you at competitive prices and would be honored to welcome you as a customer!
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2023 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- How to Fix VolSnap 36 Error User Imposed Limit – Volume Snapshot
- How to Fix: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
- BackupChain is American Backup Software, 100% Made in USA
- Carbonite vs. Acronis vs. BackupChain Cloud Backup Plans Review
- What You Need to Know About Servers
- Hyper-V Dynamic Disk Pros and Cons
- How to P2V for Hyper-V 2012 Using Disk2VHD in VHDX Format
- Hyper-V Backup Error: Could not initiate a checkpoint operation: Element not found. (0x80070490).
- VMware Cloud backup
- Free SFTP + FTP Client, Map Network Drive for SFTP & FTP
- BackupChain Backup Software Rewards for MSPs and Users
- Bit Rot & Data Loss: Are You Aware of Its Damage Potential?
- BackupChain®: The Time Machine for Windows
- Boot Hyper-V Server 2019, 2016 from USB Stick or Drive
- How to Fix Error 64 “The specified network name is no longer available”
- Hyper-V Backup to NAS: Synology, Qnap, Netgear, Drobo, Buffalo
- Backup Software for Windows Server 2022, VMware, & Hyper-V
- 18 Hyper-V Requirements and Recommended Hardware
- Differential Backup
- All Fixes for: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2