Naturally, files stored on a network can be backed up using BackupChain using a pull strategy (that’s what you’re doing now); however, Microsoft’s Volume Shadow Copy Service doesn’t permit unlocking files over the network.
In order to backup locked files, these files need to be local; hence, you can resolve the problem by installing the BackupChain backup program on the network file server itself.
If you are trying to access SQL Server, Exchange databases, or Hyper-V virtual machines on a remote server via a network share, that won’t work unless the services (Hyper-V etc) are shut down. You’ll need to install BackupChain on the server itself where SQL Server, Exchange, etc. is running so it can get access to those database files.
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2022 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain Backup Software is the all-in-one Windows Server backup solution and includes:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- Cloud Backup Solution for Windows Server
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- Knowledge Base
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.