Hyper-V Backup for Windows 11, Windows 10, and Windows 8
Lots of IT professionals use Windows 11, Windows 10, or Windows 8 with Hyper-V to run various virtual machines. Naturally the really important VMs you would want backed up often and efficiently, but how exactly is a Windows 10 client Hyper-V backup set up?
Below are the steps to set up a Hyper-V virtual machine backup task using BackupChain, a server backup software for Windows which also works on Windows 11 / 10 / 8 and Windows Server 2022 to 2008.
With just a few clicks you can set up a new task as shown below. Select “Hyper-V Backup (Client)”:
Then select the folders containing the VMs you would like backed up (also include any separate checkpoint folders if there are any):
Next, you will see a screen with options, you can safely use the recommended defaults for now and tweak later if necessary.
The last thing to do is to set the target and you’re done. Supported targets are: local or network folders and FTP, see below:
After that you can run the backup task immediately or click edit to add a schedule, email alert notifcations, or perhaps just browse through all available features.
The Folders tab is the place where you can update the VM selection at a later point.
Tips & Tricks
- If you use external hard drives as backup target, you can freely rotate them as long as they are using the same drive letter. Windows Disk Management may be used to configure drive letters for your existing disks.
- Windows 8 virtual machine backups made with BackupChain may be also restored on Windows Server 2008 and later, and vice versa. Windows 10 VM backups may be restored on Windows Server 2022 or Windows Server 2016 as well.
- BackupChain also backs up VMware, SQL Server, Microsoft Exchange and many other services.
Deduplication, Compression, and Remote Backups
BackupChain won’t waste storage space as it backs up large VM files with deduplication. Every incremental backup is usually within 5-10% of the original size. In addition, VM backups may be sent offsite or to the cloud for additional protection against local disasters.
User Manual (PDF) for BackupChain
A PDF user guide is available with many screen shots and tutorials.
Online Backups of Windows 10 Hyper-V VMs
No other backup tool offers backup deduplication over standard FTP and in combination with Hyper-V, it’s a huge time and storage saver.
You could, for example, configure a home server to receive FTP backups from work, encrypted and using deduplication.
Windows 11, Windows Server 2022 – 2008 Compatibility
Hyper-V backups created on Windows 8 can be easily restored on a Windows Server 2008 or later. Conversely, if you have virtual machines hosted on Windows Server 2012 R2 you can move them to Windows 8.1 by backing them up and restoring them on Windows 8.
VMs hosted and backed up on Windows 11 can be restored on Windows Server 2022 or Windows Server 2019.
These features are all unique to BackupChain.
BackupChain backs up and restores the entire VM and all of its files automatically: VHDs, Checkpoints, Snapshots, and configuration.
Backup and restore of Hyper-V VMs is automatic and completed with just a couple of clicks.
Hyper-V virtual machine backups can be restored on any other Windows version with Hyper-V, whether Windows Server or Windows 8 or Windows 10.
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2023 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- Command-line Access S3, FTP, Wasabi, SFTP, Cloud Drive Windows
- Boot Hyper-V Server 2019, 2016 from USB Stick or Drive
- Image Backup for Hyper-V, VMware, OS, VirtualBox, System, Physical
- How to Fix 0x8007000e E_OUTOFMEMORY VSS Error
- Live Linux Virtual Machine Backup Without Shutdown or Pause
- How to P2V for Hyper-V 2012 Using Disk2VHD in VHDX Format
- Backup Verification and Validation: Use Self Validating Backups
- How to Fix: The semaphore timeout period has expired, Error 121
- P2V Converter & Backup Software for Hyper-V VMware VirtualBox
- RAID Backup Software for RAID Array Backup (0, 1, 5, 10)
- Bit Rot & Data Loss: Are You Aware of Its Damage Potential?
- How to Convert Pass-through Disk to VHDX or VMDK
- RAMKick™: Like RAMMap but Automatic, Empty System Working Set Memory
- Video Step-by-Step Hyper-V Backup on Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022
- BackupChain is American Backup Software, 100% Made in USA
- How to Check Hard Disk Health Without Downtime
- How to Configure a Hyper-V Granular Backup
- Hyper-V Granular Backup vs. Hyper-V Full VHD Backup
- Version Backup Software with File Versioning
- Server Administrator’s Checklist: Manual Server Monitoring