How to Fix Disk Signature Error PartMgr 58
The disk signature error "PartMgr" ID 58 may occur on its own or when a virtual machine backup is initiated.
You'll need to check whether there are disks that have the same disk signature.
In the case of Hyper-V, check if any of the VM disks inside the VM have the same disk signature as a host disk.
This error may occur as a result of a Disk2VHD P2V conversion.
The error usually shows up in the Event Viewer System logs:
Log Name: System Source: partmgr Event ID: 58 Task Category: None Level: Warning Description: The disk signature of disk X is equal to the disk signature of disk Y.
To view the disk signature, open the command prompt as administrator and:
The above command lists all disks, then
SELECT DISK N
N is the number of the disk you would like to acces
Now the disk signature will be displayed, such as 0805dae1
To change the disk signature:
UNIQUEID DISK ID=abcdef01
The disk signature wil then be updated to contain the byte value you entered.
Hint: Use BackupChain backup software and its VSS Diagnosis feature to test out your system.
More Info on BackupChain
BackupChain is a backup software for Windows and includes cloud backup and Windows Server 2012 backup amongst other modules that allow IT pros worldwide to protect their server farms.
BackupChain has also free virtual machine backup features included, such as live backup for VMs when creating a Hyper-V backup, VirtualBox backup, or VMware backup.
On the BackupChain website you will also find various freeware programs for Windows Server, including DriveMaker, a tool that you can use to map an FTP site to a drive letter.
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2023 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- How to Fix VolSnap 25 Error The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted
- How to Convert OpenSSH Keys to RSA for DriveMaker SFTP Access
- Gmail SMTP Configuration for Backup Alerts
- Backup Verification and Validation: Use Self Validating Backups
- Hyper-V Pass-through Disk: Pros and Cons
- All Fixes for: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2
- Hyper-V Backup: Simple, Powerful, and Open Standard
- Alternatives to Acronis, Veeam, Backup Exec, and Microsoft DPM
- Hard Disk Cloning and Drive Copy for Windows, GPT + MBR
- How to Seed to a USB Drive for Cloud Backup
- Windows 10 (Final) Download Link Enterprise Trial / Evaluation
- How to: Bare-Metal Recovery via USB Windows Server Boot Disk
- Hyper-V Block Size for NTFS: What’s Recommended
- Automatic Hyper-V Backup on a Schedule
- Backup Software with Encryption for Windows 11, Windows Server 2022
- Video Step-by-Step Hyper-V Backup on Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022
- Alternative to Amazon S3, Glacier, Azure, OpenStack, Google Cloud Drive
- Backup Software and Long File Names: What You Need To Know
- How to Fix SQL Error: 18210, Severity: 16, Error 3041
- How to Fix Disk Signature Error PartMgr 58