This article summarizes the steps needed to fix the error ID 10102, Hyper-V VMMS (Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS) “Failed to create the backup of virtual machine”.
There are various reasons why this error may occur:
- Virtual machine files are stored in root folders of a drive or mounted folder. If that’s the case please move all Hyper-V virtual machine files into a subfolder. This is a well-known bug in Hyper-V and affects backups with various error messages. Do not store VHDs and other VM files in root folders.
- The VM’s disk may be nearly full
- The host’s disk may be full, either the system drive or the drive containing the VHDs or both
- The VM’s snapshot folder is set to a root folder (variant of #1)
- The VM’s snapshot folder volume is full or nearly full
- A VSS aware service inside the VM vetoed live backup, such as SQL Server, Exchange, etc. Please inspect the VM’s Event Viewer logs (Application & System)
Apart from event ID 10102 in Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS you may see additional errors being logged. Usually the first error is the key to the solution and all other errors are consequential.
Hyper-V Backup Software
Are you looking for a powerful Hyper-V Hyper-V VM backup software? Download BackupChain’s full version now and get started. Call, email, or chat with our tech support when you need assistance. We take the time to answer all your questions and help you get started in minutes.
With BackupChain backup software you can set up thousands of different backup configurations to data backup, VM backup, and Windows Server 2008 R2 backup. Take a live backup of your virtual machine guests and backup VHDX, backup VDI, and backup VMDK files from the same interface.
We also offer DriveMaker, an FileZilla alternative as free software. You can use DriveMaker to backup to FTP cloud storage of your own or one of our FTP cloud storage plans.
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2023 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- Backup Software Without Compression Option: As-Is File Backup
- Windows 10 (Final) Download Link Enterprise Trial / Evaluation
- Hyper-V Dynamic Disk Pros and Cons
- Hyper-V Granular Backup vs. Hyper-V Full VHD Backup
- BackupChain Backup Software Rewards for MSPs and Users
- What is Granular Restore and How to Use it for Hyper-V Guest Recovery?
- FTP Server TCP/IP Port Exhaustion Prevention
- Notable Customers
- Hyper-V Disadvantages: How Hyper-V Costs You
- How to Fix Error 1219: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user
- Server Administrator’s Checklist: Manual Server Monitoring
- Backup Hyper-V on USB External Hard Drive Pros and Cons
- How to Install Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2012 Machine
- BackupChain is American Backup Software, 100% Made in USA
- Backup Software with Portable and Perpetual Licensing
- 6 Common Cloud Backup Storage Pitfalls You Should Know
- How to Fix Hyper-V Backup Errors
- List of 12 Virtual Backup Software Vendors
- How to Configure a Hyper-V Granular Backup