If you encounter a VolSnap 25 error with this type of message or similar:
The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.
The issue has to do with a limited diff area space to work with. There are several possibilities:
- The disk referenced in the error (C:) has no more free space left. You need to have enough space for the duration of the backup to buffer all changed blocks that occur during backups. For lengthy backups on busy servers this could be a considerable amount of free disk space needed.
- Microsoft has a silly default limit of just 300MB. You can lift that by following the instructions and screenshots here: //backupchain.com/Cannot-Find-anymore-diff-area-candidates-for-volume-Volume-shadow-copy-service-error-troubleshooting.html
- open a command prompt as admin as enter: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=c: /maxsize=unbounded
- do this for all drives
- on regular PCs, turn off System Restore in Computer->Properties
- on Windows Server, turn off all schedules shown in vssuirun.exe for all drives unless you absolutely need automatic shadows for file version restore
- Another possibility is your server or PC is cluttered with VSS shadows. Delete them all, see instructions: //backupchain.com/i/how-to-delete-vss-shadows-you-cant-delete-outside-of-your-allowed-context and //backupchain.com/i/how-to-delete-all-vss-shadows-and-orphaned-shadows
Welcome to BackupChain Backup Software!
Tired of backup tools that don’t work properly? Can’t reach anyone when you need help?
Leave all that behind and join the BackupChain fan base. Whether you need Hyper-V VM backup, server cloud backup, or backups for your file server, it’s all included. Above all you get fanatic tech support to help you out when you need it!
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2021 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP Site as a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.