VolSnap 36 event ID may show up as error:
Volume Snapshot Driver, Diff Area health issues
Event ID 36 Source volsnap The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to user imposed limit
or a related message.
Basically VolSnap 36 is an error event that signals an issue with the diff area being used by VSS.
It could be
- a low limit for the diff area, see //backupchain.com/i/how-to-fix-volsnap-25-error
- a disk I/O issue
- a bad sector on disk: use chkdsk X: /b to check for bad blocks (may require a reboot)
- system load is too high for the diff area to grow fast enough
- a corrupt file system issue. Use Chkdsk with /r option, better use /b to also check for bad sectors
The most common cause is #1. Use the solution in the article linked above; however, checking the other potentialities may also be a good idea if the disk hasn’t been checked in a while.
Welcome to BackupChain!
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2021 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP Site as a Drive Letter (Freeware)