You may see the error
Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
in the Windows Event Viewer or in the logs of your backup tool followed by a failure.
When these errors refer to a disk drive, usually data errors and cyclic redundancy check errors are due to serious disk defects.
It’s is strongly recommended to copy your files immediately to another disk!
In over 99% of all cases reported to us, the error “Data error (cyclic redundancy check)” was due to bad sectors on the disk.
How to Confirm a Disk Issue
You can run a check disk command to make Windows bypass those sectors; however, usually disks fail completely within a short period once you encounter a bad sector.
Copying your files out of the defected drive should hence be your highest priority. After that, you could run a the chkdsk command to inspect the drive:
chkdsk X: /b
Where X: is the drive letter and b is the option to reevaluate every single cluster on disk, see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd637756.aspx.
A. this test takes many hours to complete, depending on hard drive capacity and speed. It could take half a day or more and it could damage more files.
B. this test is very stressful for a drive and may very well destroy the drive completely. It is not unusual for hard drives to fail completely when put under high load.
In rare cases the error “Data error (cyclic redundancy check)” is actually a driver issue. However, this driver issue would appear immediately after installing the drive or RAID controller, not weeks or years later.
Another thing to remember is that even brand new drives ship out defected. We hear many times from our customers how brand new servers arrived with hard drive defects.
Data Loss Prevention Strategies
The best strategy is to create backups often and religiously. Ideally using an automated backup tool, such as BackupChain. Try it today for free and protect your data from being lost due to data errors and other hard drive defects.
Backup software is far more than just a copy tool. You can protect against data loss by backing up a server to the cloud or to a remote backup server. While online server backup is a great strategy, it’s best to have several local and network based (NAS) backups as well, for speedy recovery.
Many businesses today use virtual machines. Using BackupChain you can backup VMs while running using its Hyper-V backup function. Moreover, BackupChain supports other hypervisors as well, such as VMware backup and VirtualBox backup.
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2024 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2024
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- Copy VHD / VHDX to Disk or Network With Optional Compression Deduplication
- How to Set up P2V, P to V for Hyper-V, Step-by-Step Video
- How to Fix ID 10102 VMMS: Failed to create the backup of virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Backup Software Guide & Tutorial Links
- How to Backup VHD, VHDX while Running
- 18 Hyper-V Tips & Strategies You Need to Know
- Restoring a Hyper-V Virtual Machine
- Best Network Backup Solution for Windows Server 2022
- Backup Software and Long File Names: What You Need To Know
- How to use Granular Restore to Extract Individual Files from Virtual Machine Backups
- Video Step-by-Step Hyper-V Backup on Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022
- Hyper-V Backup: Simple, Powerful, and Open Standard
- All Fixes for: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2
- How to Restore VMware VMs, Step-by-Step Video
- Fix for: The shadow copies of volume X: were aborted because of an IO failure
- Pros and Cons of Deduplication Technologies, VHDX, Hyper-V
- Hyper-V Load Balancing: Everything You Need to Know in 2 Minutes
- Automatic Hyper-V Backup on a Schedule
- How to Fix: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
- How to Plan Hyper-V Deployment for Optimal Virtualization