Self-hosted Google Drive, OneDrive, Carbonite, Amazon S3, DropBox
If you are looking for a self-hosted Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive, Carbonite, or Amazon S3 alternative, BackupChain has all the components you need to set this up yourself and save thousands of dollars per year by hosting a secure system yourself.
Whether you want to share files online securely with team members or use cloud storage for remote backup, BackupChain offers the server-side and client-side apps you need to set it all up yourself in minutes.
On the client side you can use the freeware DriveMaker or DriveMaker Plus. It maps a drive letter, say A:, to your remote storage and you can use the files and folders as if they were local.
On the server side you can use a secure FTP server like the one included in the BackupChain backup software toolset. BackupChain’s FTPS server can be set up to work with unlimited users and storage and requires only two ports to be forwarded from your router. If you are setting up this self-hosted network for remote backup purposes, you can use BackupChain on your client PCs or servers as well to send your backups over the internet securely. BackupChain also knows how to deal with broken links so that lengthy uploads resume where they left off instead of having to upload the same file over again.
BackupChain and DriveMaker are a great alternative and allow you to build your own, self-hosted DropBox, Google Drive, Sync.com, OneDrive, or pCloud like service. Rather than paying monthly to services like TeamDrive, iDrive, SpiderOak One, Mega, or Jottacloud, you can save all that money by self-hosting. In addition you can add as much storage as you need without paying more on a monthly basis.
BackupChain also offers several components to set up your own self-hosted remote backup system, like a self-hosted Amazon S3, Carbonite, or CrashPlan style system.
Minimum System Requirements
BackupChain FTPS Server
Good download and upload bandwidth, relative to expected traffic load
A Windows PC will suffice for a small setup, with Windows XP or later.
For larger setups use a Windows Server. BackupChain v4 was released and works with Windows Server 2022 and Windows 11.
.Net 4 or later
Windows XP or later, and Windows Server 2003 and later are all supported.
DriveMaker was released for Windows Server 2022 and Windows 11.
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2023 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- Free SFTP + FTP Client, Map Network Drive for SFTP & FTP
- Hyper-V Backup: Simple, Powerful, and Open Standard
- How to Delete Files in the Backup Folder
- Backup Software and Long File Names: What You Need To Know
- Disk Backup Software for Image Backup and Full System Backup
- Live Linux Virtual Machine Backup Without Shutdown or Pause
- Things to Consider: General Characteristics of CSV
- Backup Hyper-V on USB External Hard Drive Pros and Cons
- How to Backup and Restore Hyper-V Virtual Machine
- How to Turn Off Windows 10 Upgrade Notification and Icon
- Hyper-V Granular Backup vs. Hyper-V Full VHD Backup
- Image Backup for Hyper-V, VMware, OS, VirtualBox, System, Physical
- Copy VHD / VHDX to Disk or Network With Optional Compression Deduplication
- How to Rollout Windows Updates Without Internet Connection
- How to Install Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 / 2008 R2
- How to Backup Hyper-V Virtual Machine on Windows Server 2022 or Windows 11
- Backup Verification and Validation: Use Self Validating Backups
- How to Fix 0x8007000e E_OUTOFMEMORY VSS Error
- Path Too Long? Try Delete Long Path File Freeware Tool DeleteLongPath™
- Notable Customers