This article describes several different ways to install the .NET framework v2.0 on various Windows Server and PC platforms.
BackupChain requires either the .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 or the .Net Framework 4.0 or later to work. If you have Windows 10, 8, or 7 and Windows Server 2019-2012 there is no need to install a .Net upgrade. The only OS versions that might require a .Net installation are: Windows XP, Vista, or core installations of Windows Server where .Net was omitted intentionally. Hyper-V Servers 2019 and 2016 already have the .Net framework installed.
Windows Server 2019, 2016, 2012 / R2 via the Server Manager
Open the Server Manager and click add features. Add the feature ‘.NET v3.5’, which includes .Net v2.0. If the domain policy restricts it use the second DISM command listed in the section below:
Windows 10, Windows Server 2019 – 2012 / R2 via the Command Line
Start the command prompt as administrator (you must right-click ‘run as administrator’ even if logged on as administrator) and enter the commands:
DISM /Online /Enable-Feature:NetFx3 /All or: Dism /online /enable-feature:NetFX3 /All /Source:X:\sources\sxs
The first command downloads the .Net v3.5 package from Microsoft and it also contains .Net v2.0.
The latter command uses the Windows installation CD as a source, where drive letter X: points to the DVD. On some systems the download doesn’t work due to policy restrictions. On such systems you could use the /source switch to force DISM to use the Windows CD instead.
.NET Framework 2.0 Installation on Windows 10 / 8 and Windows Server 2016 / 2012 with User Interface
On Windows 10 or 8 and Windows Server 2016 / 2012 you need to install the .NET framework 3.5 which includes .Net 2.0 via the Programs & Features menu of Windows. To install, hold the Windows key on your keyboard and press X, then choose Programs and Features. Then select “Turn Windows features on or off” and continue to Features until you see .NET Framework 3.5 listed. Check and continue installation.
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 / R2
On Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Window Server 2008 R2 no installation is necessary as .NET framework v2.0 is already pre-installed by Windows.
Server Core Windows Server 2008 / R2 or Windows Server 2012 / R2
On Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 / R2 Server Core installations use:
start /w ocsetup NetFx2-ServerCore
start /w ocsetup NetFx2-ServerCore-WOW64
If the above commands don’t work on your Core Installation version, use these instead:
DISM.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx2-ServerCore
DISM.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx2-ServerCore-WOW64
How to Start BackupChain on a Server Core Installation
The BackupChain monitor starts automatically after you install BackupChain. In order to access the BackupChain monitor application again after closing it, use this command at the command prompt:
C:\Program Files\FastNeuron Inc\BackupChain\BackupChain.exe
The BackupChain monitor offers a full graphical user interface on Server Core.
Welcome to BackupChain, the Server Backup Software for IT Professionals!
BackupChain, our Server 2016 backup software specifically made for IT professionals does much more than just network backup. BackupChain offers “lock-in”-free backups that use open standard file formats so your backups can be used without specialized software. In addition, BackupChain offers deduplication when you use cloud backup, Hyper-V backup, VMware backup, Exchange server backup, and file share backup. In addition to being a Windows Server backup solution, BackupChain also includes the tools you need to set up your own cloud storage server on all versions of Windows from XP to Windows 10, from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2016.
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2023 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- Carbonite vs. Acronis vs. BackupChain Cloud Backup Plans Review
- BackupChain is American Backup Software, 100% Made in USA
- How to use Granular Restore to Extract Individual Files from Virtual Machine Backups
- How to: Bare-Metal Recovery via USB Windows Server Boot Disk
- How to Delete VSS Shadows You Can’t Delete: outside of your allowed context…
- How to Seed to a USB Drive for Cloud Backup
- How to Fix Error 1219: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user
- Deduplication of Virtual Machine Backups in Hyper-V and VMware
- What’s New in v3.0.768?
- Backup Software for Windows Server 2022, VMware, & Hyper-V
- How to Fix Event 1135 FailoverClustering: Cluster node was removed
- Backup Software Without Compression Option: As-Is File Backup
- Hyper-V Pass-through Disks: Advantages, Disadvantages, and Limitations
- Path Too Long? Try Delete Long Path File Freeware Tool DeleteLongPath™
- Pros and Cons of Deduplication Technologies, VHDX, Hyper-V
- Fix for: The shadow copies of volume X: were aborted because of an IO failure
- Hyper-V Pass-through Disk: Pros and Cons
- FTP Server TCP/IP Port Exhaustion Prevention
- Bit Rot & Data Loss: Are You Aware of Its Damage Potential?
- Copy VHD / VHDX to Disk or Network With Optional Compression Deduplication