This article shows the steps needed to turn off and get rid of one of the worst nag screens in PC history:
“Upgrade to Windows 10″.
And there is no ‘no, thank you” button! It’s so annoying, some people say it’s as bad as a virus. Well at least it gives us a taste of how Windows 10 is going to be…a marketing outlet for unsolicited Microsoft messages!
How to Turn off the Get Windows 10 Screen
However, a simple registry hack stops this extremely annoying “Get Windows 10” app from showing.
Open regedit.exe and create the path:
Add this new field:
DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1
Then, to eliminate the pest of a nag screen, create this folder as well:
And add this new field
DWORD value: ReservationsAllowed = 0
Also create this key
and add the DWORD DisableGwx = 1
In addition, you would want to change the GWX folder settings to prevent Windows from downloading it again. You want to keep the GWX folder but remove all access permissions for everyone, including the system user, but keep access rights for your own, personal user account:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\GWX, then properties, security, advanced security settings.
Change the owner to your own user, apply, close, then reopen the same screen. Delete all permissions and add your own user as ‘full control’, add “system” and’deny all’ permissions.
One more thing to try is to use the system try ‘customize’ function and ‘hide all notifications’ for GWX.
That should be all!
Give it a reboot and enjoy a Windows 10 free environment where you aren’t constantly interrupted with Microsoft propaganda.
Brought to you by BackupChain backup software, the Professional’s server backup software for Windows.
BackupChain offers a multitude of features, including large file backup, cloud storage backup, VM backup, Hyper-V backup, and live backup on various platforms, such as Hyper-V and VMware. Browse through our free Hyper-V software list, try our Windows Server cloud backup, VDI backup, and Vmware Workstation backup. Build your own cloud using BackupChain’s FTP / FTPS backup modules and DriveMaker, the new FTP client alternative that maps FTP sites as a drive letter.
Backup Software OverviewThe Best Backup Software in 2023 Download BackupChain®
BackupChain is the all-in-one server backup software for:
Disk Image Backup
Drive Cloning and Disk Copy
File Server Backup
Virtual Machine Backup
Server Backup Solution
- Best Practices for Server Backups
- NAS Backup: Buffalo, Drobo, Synology
- How to use BackupChain for Cloud and Remote
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Sites to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- VM Backup
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2019
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- BackupChain (German)
- German Help Pages
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
- BackupChain is an all-in-one, reliable backup solution for Windows and Hyper-V that is more affordable than Veeam, Acronis, and Altaro.
Other Backup How-To Guides
- Why Hard Drives Fail, Crash, Corrupt, and Click
- USB Disks and Hyper-V: How to Use, Pros and Cons
- Fix for: The shadow copies of volume X: were aborted because of an IO failure
- V2P Converter & Backup Software for Hyper-V VMware VirtualBox
- Protection Against Ransomware, CryptoLocker, Trojans and Viruses
- Backup Software for Windows Server 2022, VMware, & Hyper-V
- Copy VHD / VHDX to Disk or Network With Optional Compression Deduplication
- Best Practices for Server Backup, Data Backup, and Hyper-V Backup
- Hyper-V Cloud Backup
- Backup Verification and Validation: Use Self Validating Backups
- Hyper-V Disadvantages: How Hyper-V Costs You
- How to Delete All VSS Shadows and Orphaned Shadows
- SMTP Troubleshooting Sending Email Alerts and Logs
- Self-hosted Google Drive, OneDrive, Carbonite, Amazon S3, DropBox
- Alternatives to Acronis, Veeam, Backup Exec, and Microsoft DPM
- Notable Customers
- Copy Long Path Names and Deep Folders over 240 Characters
- Image Backup for Hyper-V, VMware, OS, VirtualBox, System, Physical
- Boot Hyper-V Server 2019, 2016 from USB Stick or Drive
- Version Backup Software with File Versioning